Sunday, January 10, 2010

All Alone...

So this is the last of my many belated posts (just for you mom!)...

Yesterday, Max had his first ski lesson of the year. Last week, he skied with Jason for an afternoon and did better than he ever has (I swear he gained confidence from Wii Ski- no lie). He didn't want to leave the mountain and skied the terrain park and trees like a pro. When they didn't come in forever, I thought that something must be wrong or that he wouldn't ski so Jason found someone in the top shack to b.s. with until it was time to go but I was wrong. Max wanted to keep skiing even though the mountain was closing.

Well, I took Max to his lessons, a bit nervous that his one great day of skiing was done and he would revert back to his somewhat timid self but again, he proved me wrong. He did amazing in lessons and the teacher was very impressed.
The big kicker happened after lessons. I wasn't dressed to ski but was waiting for him by the lodge to catch him when he skied by so we wouldn't have to hike so far. He skied past me begging to go one more time. I panicked because I didn't know who he could go with and I didn't know where Jason was. Max was not stopping and skied right into the sparse lift line. He assured me that he could do it on his own and he was standing next to a 10 year old girl so I assumed he would ride up with her. I repeated numerous times that he needed to ski toward the patrol building and be careful. I hung back to watch him get on but started going up the hill to meet him. When I looked back, he was on the lift BY HIMSELF. I couldn't believe my eyes. I stood there watching, nervous that something might happen and then when he neared the top, I waited for the lift to stop because he couldn't get off but no, apparently he was fine. He then proceeded to ski right down Little Beaver, across the cat walk, and right to me. I could not believe he did that and then he wanted to keep going! He veered toward the Dream lift ready to do it again. Luckily, Jason arrived just in time. What a day! Now all he talks about is when he can ski again and all I can say is "please, don't ride the lift alone! and always ski with a buddy!"
It is funny how you spend your child's life waiting for them to get big and be able to do things by themselves... but then they do and you want to go back!
Max- all smiles and very proud of himself!

4 comments:

emandtrev said...

Glad you're back to blogging for now! It was fun to see you at the movie theater. Did you get my email about book club? We are going to meet every other month. The next time we will meet is in March. You should come if you can!

Jenny said...

I just had a small heart attack reading that. I can't believe the chair operators would let someone that little on the lift all alone. HOLY CRAP WHAT IF HE FELL OFF!

(i am not chastising you, just a little shocked that the beav doesn't have a policy for kids that little)

Kelsy and Brad said...

I'm so happy you updated your blog!!! I love the ski story! When he's in the Olympics in a few years he can attribute his success to his mother, who let him go skiing alone!!!

Dixie said...

love to have something to read about the Majors. very exciting love, Dixie